Today, I am super excited to share this post from Alana. She got married just a few weeks before Dan and I, so I can relate to much of what she says… She’s just extra eloquent. Enjoy!
Hi! I’m Alana and I blog over at mrs. alana’s miscellany. Today I’m talking about one of the best things in my life: my marriage.
1. Say I love you… to excess. In our opinion, you can’t say those three words too often. You can use it for “hello,” “you look handsome,” “I’m having fun,” or even in the middle of an argument just as a reminder. It may seem like the words lose their meaning but I think that everyone deserves to know every minute that they are loved.
2. Show physical affection. We are extremely touchy-feely people, so when Mike gets home from work we immediately take a few minutes to cuddle and reconnect after a long day. We’ve even found that on days that we skip it, we get snippy with each other and are much more easily annoyed. As soon as we realize it’s happening we call time out to snuggle up and immediately our bad mood disappears! So, whether you’re holding hands, giving foot massages, or smacking each other on the butt as you walk by, make sure to touch your spouse as much as possible!
3. Ask each other about your days. Sharing all the intimate and even mundane details of life is a privilege of marriage and is good for your relationship as well as your mental well-being. Sometimes just telling Mike about something that is bothering me makes me feel so much better about it.
4. Compliment each other. A lot. So many times we may admire something about each other but don’t say it, but why? Go ahead and tell him you love his muscles, his smell, his laugh — whatever you notice, tell him! He won’t get arrogant, he’ll just feel loved, and will likely send some compliments your way, too.
5. Laugh together. I think this may be the most important one of all. One day while I was writing a post I asked Mike what was his favorite thing about me, and his answer was that I laugh at everything (it’s true). We are always goofing off, talking in silly voices, and just finding the humor in everything. We never feel more in love than when we share a good belly laugh.
What would be in your top five?
(P.S. I’d love to “meet you” if you want to come by and say hello!)